The start of the school year is just around the corner! (I’m so sorry to be the one to break this news to you, but ignoring it won’t make it go away.) This is both extremely exciting and terrifying, especially if you are about to start college.
Moving in and starting school can be stressful and difficult, especially if you are not prepared or organized prior to leaving home.
In order to avoid this stress and worry, I compiled a list of things that can be done prior to move-in day that will make the transition much easier and smoother!
- Meet up with your roommate. Even if you have known them for years, grab a cup of coffee with them or call them up to talk about their expectations about living together and what they are bringing so you can share some general appliances and household items. Communication is key, especially with your future roommate.
- Invest in a backpack. I’m talking a heavy-duty, strong and sturdy backpack. A cute tote bag from Target or Vera Bradley won’t do the trick in college. My favorites are from the brand Herschel or Northface. They may not be the most stylish, but trust me, your back will thank me later!
- Research the clubs and opportunities available at your new school. Getting involved, especially in your first year, is extremely important! However, before saying yes to everyone who asks you to be in their club, do your research. Find out what clubs interest you and what kind of opportunities are offered throughout the year, so you can plan ahead.
- Clean out your closet. For real though. Clean out those clothes, shoes and accessories that remind you of high school. Starting college means starting a new chapter in life and your wardrobe should reflect that as well! Make room in your closet for more pieces that fit your lifestyle.
- Determine your goals and priorities for the semester. I’m big on setting goals and things that I want to accomplish, as it motivates and inspires me to keep moving forward. What do you want your grades to be at the end of the semester? How many times a week do you want to workout? Do you want to read or write more? Think about these things before school starts, and you will be more successful with these areas of your life.
- Buy some basic school supplies. Make sure to stock up on some notebooks, folders and pencils before the school year starts. Professors will tell you if they want you to have anything special, like a certain binder or notebook, but normally they are not too picky. Plus, Target and Office Max become a zoo after the semester starts, so beat the crowds!
- Look up local restaurants and shops that are located in the town of your new school. If you are moving or going to a college in a new town, get excited by researching some of the best local places and shops! This will get you excited to explore your new city and it will make you appear knowledgable when you suggest a cute and charming hole-in-the-wall brunch place to your new friends!
- Spend time with your loved ones and plan for the next time you will see them! Be intentional when spending time with your family and friends! Be present, appreciative and in the moment. To curb homesickness, plan a weekend for them to visit you or for you to come home! Having something to look forward to will make saying goodbye become a “see you later.”
Hope you enjoyed these tips and found them helpful!